Room S-244 (Silva building, corridor between Astra and Mare buildings.)
Plan for the day
Today we will hear your ideas, select and merge few of them and assemble 3-4 teams (4 would be perfect!).
Goal: by the end of the session, we will have three-four clear problem setting and a general idea for a workshop project.
To get the discussion started we will try Edvard De Bono‘s “six hats” approach that works as an aid for brainstorming, certain type of thinking and decision making.
Plan for the day:
- Idea pitching: explain briefly your thoughts
- Rearranging ideas, finding similarities, merging
- Forming teams – try to find a good skill balance for your team
- Opening a team blog (Tumblr, WordPress, Blogger, Squarespace…) – 1 blog per team
- Outlining problem setting in a new post
Homework for Wed 15.07:
Please add a link to your blog (containing it’s first post!) to this post.
After our inspiring trip to Skype it’s time to think about relatively new profession — Interaction and UX designer. It’s new, it’s trendy, it’s everywhere… You would be performing as one during our next two weeks, so it’s time to pop the question “Who on Earth is it?!”
Let’s find out:
Homework / Tue 14.7
Think of a general, “raw” problem(s) that you can relate to and that you would like to work on during this course.
Be ready to verbally pitch-describe it/them tomorrow (1-2 min).
Why are we doing this?
- We will discuss and frame these problems together.
- Some of the problems will be selected for workshop’s team work.
- Teams will create a prototype of a digital solution for the selected and refined problem.
Few questions to help you to outline a problem statement/an idea. You do not need to answer all of these questions or come up with a solution yet! It’s just something to inspire your creative thinking.
- How the problem currently occurs?
- What happens now, precisely?
- In what environment/context?
- Do you think other people have experienced this same thing?
- How this problem make people feel?
- How would they go about it?
- Is there a workaround?
- If there is some sort of solution…
- what is annoying, irritating, bad… in it?
- If money and technology would not be a problem, what would be an ideal solution?
“I often find myself frustrated about what to do with my car; I have no idea when to take it to repairment or where it could be done fast enough… etc.”
Some photos from today’s Skype visit:
Our first week will start next Monday with visiting Skype, which was created in Estonia and still makes our country very proud.
We will visit Skype office, listen to the people who work there and hear a little bit of their success story. You will be able to ask questions about software development, design, prototyping and get answers from the top notch professionals.
Our time of the visit is 13.07.2015 (Monday) at 9.30am.
I propose to meet in front of an entrance at 9.15, get to know each other and walk straight in. Skype building looks like this, only less depressing during the summer 🙂
The address is Akadeemia tee 15b and trolleybus stops nearby are named “Mustamäe” and “Keemia” (either way a bit of walking), it is reachable by trolleybus No.3. Route starts near Kaubamaja (big shopping mall in the centre of the city, trolleybus stops are next to the Kaubamaja “old” building) and then gets you right to the place. You can also use taxi or busses no. 23 or 24A.
More information on Tallinn transportation is available here.
If you think you are lost, call my cell 55662048 and we will figure something out.
Time indeed flies fast and I am very excited to start a new page for Tallinn Summer School 2015, Experimental Interaction Design course!
As our course goes I will publish here Lecture updates with slides and other materials used during our classes, some useful links for reading in your free time, photos from our lectures and many other things connected to our two-week course.
Also, feel free to contact me via this blog comments or e-mail and ask any questions you might have.
Looking forward to see you all very soon!